Asian telecoms have little to celebrate as competition gets harsher
With lots of whoa around the iPhone 6 launch and Google Android One, let’s spare a thought for the beleaguered Telcos. According to this article the Asian Telecoms are facing tough times. In the first six months of this year, profit margins in the region are down 32%.
- Indian telecom operators stood out among the Asian peers, with an 11 percent growth in revenues for the first half of the year
- China and Indonesia operators also grew 6 percent to 7 percent for the same period
- Thai operators suffered a 2 percent decline while Malaysia was flat
Interesting comment with regards to data pricing “prices have been adjusted to move away from unlimited data in almost every market”
- Sliding ARPUs are seen across the board in the second quarter, so OCBC forecast that the ARPU in the local telecom sector could continue to edge lower in the coming quarters
- The incumbents have still plenty of cash with financial capacity of around $50 billion for Asian operators, excluding China Mobile.